1. Recently, Jose Fernandez, the US undersecretary for economic growth and the environment, mentioned in a briefing that the US now purchases many of the minerals from Chinese companies. It's about diversifying. China's key role in the processing of raw minerals means it will remain a key US partner, mainly because those minerals are crucial for the batteries that power EVs. The broader use of EVs is a central tenet of the administration's climate change efforts.
2. Recently, S&P Global Commodity Insights expects China's solar installations to reach 170 GW in 2023, with global installations hitting 400 GW. Principal Analyst Holly Hu, speaking at a conference this week in Chuzhou, Anhui province, attributed the forecast to the convergence of three factors in 2023: the recovery of the ground-mounted PV market due to lower module prices, robust growth in the EU, US, and Chinese distributed solar markets, and rising demand for PV installations driven by green hydrogen production.
3. The Fuling shale gas field in S China's Chongqing, the first of its kind to enter commercial development in China, has produced over 60 billion m3 of natural gas to date, bringing green and clean energy to more than 70 cities along the Yangtze River Economic Belt, according to its developer Sinopec. The Fuling shale gas field began construction in December 2012 and was put into commercial development in March 2014. It is one of the critical gas sources for the Sichuan-East Gas Pipeline.
4. The United Auto Workers' strike "damages" the US auto industry at a time when President Joe Biden seeks to attract manufacturing investment, said Stella Li, Americas president for BYD Co., the Chinese EV and plug-in hybrid maker. "All of the auto companies are facing a challenge from electric vehicles," said Li in an interview in Mexico City on Friday. "This strike is scaring everybody away." BYD has no plans to enter the US passenger-car market but is considering the construction of an EV factory in Mexico.
5. China Evergrande, a debt-ridden property developer, has announced that it is unable to meet the requirements for issuing new notes due to an ongoing investigation by China's securities regulator. The investigation centers around a possible violation of disclosure rules. This was disclosed by the company in a filing submitted to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange yesterday.
6. On Sep. 25, the U.S. grid-scale energy storage installations hit a new record in the second quarter of 2023, a report by Wood Mackenzie and the American Clean Power Association (ACP) said. Across all segments of the industry, the U.S. energy storage market added 5,597 MWh in the second quarter this year, a new quarterly record. The grid-scale segment registered 172% growth quarter-over-quarter to 5109 MWh.
7. According to pv magazine today, Tesla wants to set up a battery storage factory in India and has submitted a proposal to the Indian government. The US electric car and battery manufacturer aims to target residential and industrial customers with its battery storage systems.
8. In 2020, China accounted for less than 10% of global electrolyzer capacity installed for dedicated hydrogen production. By the end of 2023, China's installed electrolyzer capacity is expected to reach 1.2 GW, 50% of global capacity, according to the Global Hydrogen Review 2023 launched by IEA recently.
9. Recently, the Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE) said that it has approved Xinte's initial public offering application. The company plans to issue a maximum of 30,000,000 shares to raise up to CNY 8.8 billion ($1.2 billion), which will be directed to an electronic-grade polysilicon production base with an annual capacity of 200,000 metric tons. According to the prospectus, Xinte's total polysilicon capacity reached 200,000 metric tons by the end of 2022.
10. GCL Technology has confirmed the start of production for its 100,000 metric ton (MT) granular silicon project dedicated to n-type products. Construction started in November 2022. It marks the fourth granular silicon production site, following those in Leshan, Baotou, and Hohhot. At full capacity, the facility is expected to reach 120,000 tons.